Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Herb Recipes - Pesto Sauce & Grilled Peppers
Week three and I've put my herbs in a sunny window. They still look scrawny. I'm going to plant in bigger pots on the weekend. I've planted:
Thought it would be a good idea to post a recipe or two, in which you can use those wonderful herbs! One of my favourites is Pesto Sauce, using fresh basil and parsley.
3 medium garlic cloves
1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and patted dry
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet*
1/2 cup best quality olive oil
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
Combine garlic, basil, parsley and pine nuts in bowl of food processor or blender. Process, adding oil in a slow, steady stream.
Stop the machine and add cheese, salt and pepper. Turn on machine and process a few seconds to combine. Taste for seasoning, then toss with hot pasta. Serve immediately.
Recommended pasta: 3/4 pound capellini, spaghetti or linguini
* Spread pine nuts in a single layer in an un-oiled heavy skillet. Place on moderate heat and stir occasionally until lightly browned.
Here's another recipe, using peppers and pesto sauce
Grilled Pesto Peppers
* 4 x red peppers
* 2 x large garlic cloves cut into thin slivers
* 4 tbsp olive oil (60ml)
* 3 tbsp pesto (45ml)
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 8 x balls of Boccocini cheese, sliced
1. Cut peppers in half lengthways. Scrape out and discard the cores and seeds. Drizzle olive oil, season with salt and pepper and add a few slivers of garlic into the cavity of each pepper.
2. Preheat the grill to 375°F/200°C or medium high heat
3. Place the peppers on the grill, cavity side up, until charred (approximately 3 minutes)
4. Add a spoonful of pesto into each of the peppers and slices of Boccocini cheese.
5. Continue to cook peppers until cheese is melted (approximately 3 minutes).