Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Italian Gardens - Sacro Bosco

It's the end of February and there's not much in the way of gardening to do here in Canada. So, I watch my favourite gardening shows. They give me my gardening fix, ideas and dreams of gardens I want to visit.

"Monty Don's Italian Gardens" is one show that fuels my dreams. Monty focusses on Renaissance gardens in Italy in this four part series. The key to gardens of this style were symmetry and harmony.

There is one garden, however, which does not follow the path of Renaissance symmetry - 'Sacro Bosco', or 'Sacred Wood',  in the Villa Orsini of Bomarzo. It contains fantastic, gigantic mythological sculptures, carved from the rock, found in the garden. It was designed by the then famous architect, Pirro Ligorio, for Prince Pier Francesco Orsini (1523-1585).

You can watch this episode here (fast forward to time of 35:10):



You can see all the episodes at the TVO website.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your appreciation! I feel very strongly about the plight of our native bees and hope that this blog will help people identify them and want to help save them by growing nectar-rich plants in their gardens.

    Garden centre Tayside region

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a nice post i am so inspired here could you more share here i will be back to you as soon as possible.
    Thanks for sharing...




    garden centre Luton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across this blog post this morning, as I was looking around on line for information about Italian gardens. I also am a Canadian garden blogger -- there aren't that many of us, so I look forward to reading further posts. You may enjoy mine, at glenvilla.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to be of help. I love Monty Don! :) I have subscribed to your blog and look forward to reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails