Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Flowers as organic pest control

Did you know companion planting flowers with your vegetables can help to naturally control insect pests? In my quest to organically deter various garden interlopers, I've discovered that planting certain flowers with my vegetables will aid in controlling various insects. This year I put a couple of marigolds and planted nasturtium seeds in my vegetable garden.

Marigolds
I've read that marigolds are great near tomatoes as well as asparagus, cabbage and beans. They will send these pests packing:
  • Beetles
  • Worms
  • Flies
Nasturtiums
The nasturtiums serve two purposes. They will, apparently, hold at bay:
  • Moths
  • Beetles
  • Squash bugs
  • Aphids
These lovely blooms are good companion plants to squash, pumpkins, beans and flowers.
Their second purpose: they're edible! They look fabulous in a salad or as a garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails