Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tomato Plant Prunning Silliness

My tomato plant obsession continues ...

Before Prunning
The other day I came across a video showing how to prune tomato plants. I knew that the "sucker" branches at the bottom of tomato plants should be removed. This video, however, says that once your tomato flowers are set, all branches that don't have flowers should be removed. This apparently allows the plant's energy to go to the ripening tomatoes. I decided to give it a try.

After Prunning
Now for my silliness (idiocy?) - for some reason I thought he said remove the leaves on non-flowering branches! So I spent an unreasonable amount of time trimming off leaves instead of branches - should have had my computer with me to look at the video while I was doing the pruning. I was thinking that pruning the branches of leaves was ridiculous - and it was!

Not sure if I went far enough or too far. Still, it did give the plants more breathing room and already the green tomatoes of a couple of days ago are red or almost red.

Here is the video - and remember, prune the non-flowering branches, not the non-flowering branches' leaves!



1 comment:

  1. That must have taken you quite some time
    But at least now your tomatoes will have some extra room.

    ps:thanks for the comment on my blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails